I saw this tag on Addlepates and Book Nerds blog (for which I have added some additional songs, courtesy of Jesse the Reader), and the challenge on swxftbooks blog, and I had to do them both. It’s Taylor freaking Swift. And since I’m seeing Taylor for the 3rd and 4th time next month, it’s the perfect time to drop this tag and challenge!
Taylor Swift Book Tag
1. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – Pick a book or series that you were pretty sure you were in love with, but then wanted to break up with after
I read “Divergent” by Veronica Roth last year, and really quite enjoyed it, so I picked up “Insurgent” earlier this year, and it was diabolical in comparison. It was so disjointed and jumpy, and new characters kept coming and going. It was just bad. Despite that, I hate leaving a series (particularly a trilogy) unfinished, so I’ll probably bite the bullet and read “Allegiant” at some point. I’m not holding out much hope though.
2. Red – Pick a book with a Red cover
One of the five books (yes, five) I’m currently reading is “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown, and the edition I’m reading is a beautiful shade of red – look out for my review next month!
3. The Best Day – Pick a book that makes you feel nostalgic
“Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” by J.K. Rowling. Where the magic began, and continues to live on.
4. Love Story – Pick a book with forbidden love
“Eclipse” by Stephenie Meyer covers this pretty well, I’d say. Falling in love with both a vampire and a werewolf. Doubly forbidden.
5. I Knew You Were Trouble – Pick a book with a bad character that you couldn’t help but love
I recently read “A Court of Thorns and Roses” by Sarah J. Maas (which I loved) and though I didn’t ship Feyre and Rhysand, he’s definitely a bad guy with his own agenda, but he’s so intriguing that I sorta/kinda like him.
6. Innocent – Pick a book that someone ruined the ending for
I am usually very good at avoiding spoilers, but unfortunately I spoiled myself whilst reading “Looking for Alaska” by John Green (the last book I read) as I was reading the 10th anniversary special edition, and I didn’t realise there was a Q&A in the back (which I didn’t even read) which I glanced at and there in bold was the spoiler of the whole book! Ruined in a split second.
7. Everything Has Changed – Pick a character from a book who goes through extensive character development
Callum from “Noughts and Crosses” by Malorie Blackman goes through a crazy amount of character development – in good and bad ways.
8. You Belong With Me – Pick your most anticipated book release
The book release I’m most excited about this year (and every year she releases a novel) is “Career of Evil” by Robert Galbraith. I loved the first in the series, but was disappointed by the second. Here’s hoping the third picks it back up again!
9. Forever and Always – Pick your favourite book couple
Katniss and Peeta from “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins. They’re the only book couple I’ve ever truly shipped. They bring out the best in each other, although I’m still convinced Katniss got the better deal.
10. Come Back, Be Here – Pick the book you would least like to lend out, for fear of missing it too much
That would be my signed copy of “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” (again). It’s signed by over 15 actors and actresses from the movies, and is dedicated to me. If I was to choose a different book, it’d be “The Casual Vacancy”, signed by J.K. Rowling when I met her for the first time.
11. Teardrops On My Guitar – Pick a book that made you cry
The one book that has made me cry above all others is “Marley and Me” by John Grogan. I read it only months after we got our puppy, and it was heartbreaking and beautiful.
12. Shake It Off – Pick a book that you love, but other people hate
Ok, I know it was a piece of literary trash, but I loved “Fifty Shades of Grey” by E.L. James. It was highly entertaining!
13. Stay, Stay, Stay – Pick a book that you wanted to go on forever
My very favourite stand alone novel, “The Time Traveler’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger, was just so beautiful and I loved it a ridiculous amount. I could’ve read and read.
14. All Too Well – Pick a book series that you wish could just keep going (and going)
Even though I could quite happily talk about ‘Harry Potter’ once again, that series is over, so I’m going with the ‘Cormoran Strike’ books (beginning with “The Cuckoo’s Calling”) by Robert Galbraith, which J.K. Rowling has stated she could easily write more than seven of – so as it’s ongoing, I thought it was more relevant.
Taylor Swift Challenge
1. First Taylor Swift song you heard
‘Love Story’ in 2008. I was 14, sitting in form-time at school with my friend Kelly, and I instantly fell in love with Taylor’s voice. I bought the album ‘Fearless’ when it was released later that year.
2. When did you become a Taylor Swift fan?
I wouldn’t say that I became a “fan” until ‘Red’ was released in 2012. That was the album that 100% captured me.
3. Favourite Taylor Swift song
‘All Too Well’ will probably always be my favourite, even though I frequently state others – it is the one I keep going back to, and I absolutely love!
4. Favourite Taylor Swift music video
‘Blank Space’, which I think optimises the media and how they can twist even the smallest thing. It’s a genuinely weird video.
5. How many Taylor Swift concerts have you been to?
Two. On February 4th and 11th, 2014, I saw Taylor in London on the ‘Red’ tour. I had amazing floor seats the first night, and I was in the pit the second night. I’m going to two more this year (Glasgow and Manchester), and I managed to snag amazing tickets again! (Look out for my reviews next month!)
6. Favourite Taylor Swift performance
‘All Too Well’ live. On both occasions I saw Taylor perform the song, it had me so emotional.
7. Favourite Taylor Swift Tumblr page
I don’t have Tumblr. I follow some pretty awesome Instagram fan accounts: @taylorswift_zoe, @lingeringquestion and @sparks_fly_swiftie.
8. A Taylor Swift song you can most relate to
‘Mean’. I know a lot of Taylor Swift fans were bullied when they were kids and teens, and I was one of them – not because I was a T-Swizzle fan of course. To all those bullied – ‘Shake It Off’, you’re ‘Innocent’.
9. Favourite Taylor Swift picture
2015’s May calendar entry – the one I’ve been staring at all month. Beautiful.
10. Something you miss most about Taylor Swift
Sometimes I miss the old style songs. I miss that that era has gone (I love ‘1989’, but just occasionally I wish we were back in the ‘Fearless’ days).
11. Favourite Taylor Swift lyric
“Hey you called me up again just to break me like a promise
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I’m a crumbled up piece of paper lying here”
– ‘All Too Well’
12. Favourite video of Taylor Swift on YouTube
There can only be one in my mind: Ellen scaring Taylor! This still makes me laugh! Mama Swift laughing is so great too.
13. Favourite Taylor Swift album
As an entire album, my favourite is ‘1989’. There aren’t any weak or filler tracks on it, and it is one of only a handful of albums that I actually listen to – my favourite songs are ‘Blank Space’, ‘Style’, ‘Shake It Off’, ‘How You Get The Girl’ and ‘New Romantics’.
14. Have you ever met Taylor Swift?
No. I’d absolutely love to at some point – I have my fingers crossed for Loft 89 next month. Pray for me!
15. Least favourite Taylor Swift song
I hate this question. I’ll go with ‘Treacherous’ because I never really truly loved that song.
16. Favourite Taylor Swift magazine cover
I really love the UK June 2015 Glamour cover, which Taylor edited.
17. A Taylor Swift song you wish would have a music video
‘New Romantics’ would definitely have an amazing music video. I’d also love for ‘Starlight’ to have a music video.
18. Who would you want to do a duet with Taylor Swift?
Ok, I know this is controversial, and frankly never going to happen, but I’d love for Taylor to collaborate with Katy Perry. Am I not allowed to be a Swiftie and a KatyCat?! Come on, that would be one epic tune!
19. A Taylor Swift song you would want to hear live
‘New Romantics’ – and I’ll be hearing it next month! Otherwise (in terms of one I haven’t, and won’t hear) ‘Fearless’.
20. Favourite Taylor Swift quote
“Being fearless isn’t being 100% not fearful, it’s being terrified but you jump anyway…”
21. Something Taylor Swift you are excited for
The concerts next month! I’m excited I’m seeing her twice because I know I’ll be fangirling the first time, and not be able to fully appreciate it (like last time).
22. A Taylor Swift song you wish you could play on an instrument
‘All Too Well’, hands down! I wish I could play that beautifully emotive song on the piano so badly, but I am terrible at music.
23. Five things you love about Taylor Swift
a. Her music
b. Her hair
c. That her meet and greets are free
d. She’s a great role model for young women
e. She became famous organically from hard work (she wasn’t manufactured)
24. Which do you prefer; Taylor Swift’s blog, vlogs or tweets?
Vlogs! She doesn’t do them frequently enough – understandably as she is ridiculously busy, but I love watching her videos.
25. Do you have any Taylor Swift merchandise?
Yep. I have a signed ‘Red’ album insert, wristbands, blanket, t-shirt, guitar picks, and I’m pretty sure I have a glo-stick somewhere – and I’ll be getting ‘1989’ merch at the tour! I also have several magazines with her as the cover star.
26. Favourite Taylor Swift MySpace vlog
Taylor’s first trip to London was pretty memorable – I loved her in the Foot Guard uniform!
27. The Taylor Swift song you never get tired of hearing
At the moment I’m addicted to ‘Starlight’ but there are eleven I could listen to day-in, day-out, and not get bored of: ‘Fearless’, ‘Our Song’, ‘Sparks Fly’, ‘All Too Well’, ’22’, ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’, ‘Blank Space’, ‘Style’, ‘Shake It Off’, ‘How You Get The Girl’ and ‘New Romantics’.
28. How has Taylor Swift influenced your life?
I wouldn’t go as far as saying she has influenced my life, but there is a TSwift song for every emotion. She can make me happy when I’m sad, and feel like I’m on cloud nine when I’m jamming to her songs. She puts on an amazing show, and seems like a genuinely lovely person.
29. Post anything related to Taylor Swift
I can’t wait to see where Taylor goes in the future! Swifties for the win!
That was so much fun! If you’re a Taylor Swift fan, and you fancy doing either challenge, consider yourself tagged!
My journey will also be instagrammed frequently on @charlottebibliophile